Varai bhaat -Bhagar
Another Vrat (fast) friendly food that is not Sabudana Khichdi is Bhagar/ Varai Bhaat. This is steamed Barnyard millet savory recipe. It is usually paired with Shengdana Amti and tastes super yum.
What is Bhagar?
Bhagar is similar to Pulao but made of barnyard millet also called as Samo/Moriyo. We can add pototoes/sweet potatoes or any other Vrat friendly vegetables into the recipe. I usually add potato or okra to the recipe which tastes good and adds value. You can either cook the millet with just water and salt or add tempering of chilies and cumin.
Why it is better than Sabudana Khichdi?
Sabudana Khichdi requires a lot of oil in order to be properly cooked and made. Where as this recipe demands very little to no oil for cooking. Goes easy on stomach for sure.
Apart from cooking Sabudana, that requires alot of pre -prep, this recipe is for people who love quick cooking. ( I make this on days when I don’t want to start prepping from the previous day)
Varai bhaat -Bhagar
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 3-4 chilies slit lengthwise
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 1 small potato or 1/2 large sweet potato
- 1/2 cup Barnyard millet/ Varai/ Samo
- 2 cups water
- salt as per taste
- Heat a medium sized pan on a low flame.
- Add oil and let it heat.
- Once the oil heats, add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Later add chilies, potatoes. Cook the potatoes properly using a lid to cover the pan.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan and bring it to a boil
- Once the bubbles appear, add Varai/Barnyard millet/Samo to the pan and stir everything together.
- Add salt as per taste and mix everything.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 7-10 mins.
- Check if its cooked by fluffing the grains. The grain size increases 2 times.
- If you feel its under cooked, add 1/2 cup more water and cook for few more mins (around 3-5 mins more)
- Add coriander for garnish and serve.
I hope you like this recipe and give this a try. If you try this recipe and liked it, do share a picture with the hashtag #whenchaimetbiskit on Instagram or Facebook. Would love to know what you guys have been cooking.