Red pepper soup with Pistachio Gremolata
Happy new year! Hope this year brings lot of love and happiness to you and your loved ones.
We had the year’s best yet craziest snowfall on the first day of the year. Snow as high as 4 inches accumulated around the city and it felt so surreal. As if the city has wrapped itself in a white blanket.
Christmas of 2020 was rather dull so this snowfall felt superb. And you know what I like to do when there is snowfall, I bring out my stock pot or IP to make delicious soup. 😀
This time I had lush red bell peppers and some tomatoes to make this smooth soup with delicate flavors.
The soup is easy to make and can be made on the side while you are doing other things (multi-tasking, yay!)
Making roasted bell pepper soup..
Although the main ingredient is red bell pepper, you can add tomatoes and onions to soften up the overall flavor of the soup.
Originally bell peppers have slightly bitter but more sweetish notes to it. When you add tomato, it imparts slightly tangy taste to balance the flavors.
These peppers and tomatoes along with onion and garlic cloves are then roasted until slightly charred. I have roasted in the oven but these taste best with stove top roasting too. You can add 2 tbsp oil to the pan and add these ingredients. Roast it until they are soft and slightly browned.
Cool these ingredients and then blend to a smooth paste.
This soup is flavored with basil powder, salt and tinge of cumin. Trust me these flavors bring out the best taste.
Topping for the soup..
I love toppings on the soup a lot. The topping add beauty and interest to the soup bowls.
For this particular soup, I have added Pistachio gremolata. It is a mixture of finely chopped pistachios, parsley, lemon zest and garlic. This pistachio gremolata is used in Italian dishes as a garnish. So I decided to use this to garnish for the soup. Something interest yet really easy.
Red pepper soup with gremolata
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion around 1/4 th cup
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp basil powder or 3-4 sprigs of fresh basil
- 1 tbsp salt adjust per taste
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 20 roasted pistachios de-shelled
- 4-3 sprigs parsley coriander/cilantro also work
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 small minced garlic clove
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Grease the baking pan with some cooking spray.
- Cut the bell peppers, onion and tomatoes into big chunks.
- Add these ingredients to the baking tray. Add whole garlic cloves too.
- Sprinkle oil all over the ingredients and then add basil powder & salt.
- Place this tray in the oven and roast for 20 mins. Flip the veggies midway for even cooking.
- After 20 mins, remove the tray from the oven and let it cool.
- Once it's slightly cool, blend until smooth.
- Add this paste to a pan and simmer on low flame.
- Add 1 cup water to this soup and mix everything well.
- Adjust the spices mentioned along with cumin powder and let it simmer.
- Turn off the flame and then serve.
- Garnish with gremolata.
- Chop pistachios and parsley finely and add it to a mixing bowl.
- Now add 1 tsp lemon zest and 1 minced garlic clove.
- Mix everything well and your gremolata is ready.
I am Jui. If you love tea, vegetarian food and lots of giggles, we probably work on the same wavelength. I mostly re-create long lost Maharashtrian traditional recipes and also develop recipes that are vegan and vegetarian.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE,
If you like this recipe, Rate it by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
For more such recipes and inspirations Check out my Pinterest boards.
If you try any of my recipes, do share a picture with the hashtag #whenchaimetbiskit on Instagram or Facebook.. Would love to know what you guys have been cooking..
Recipes you might like