Moong Dal sabji
Weekday meals are hectic and need planning. But some days the planning fails and you have to cook on the fly. On such days, my go-to recipe is Moong dal sabji. It’s easy and so so delicious.
You don’t need fancy ingredients nor do you need fancy prep work. Just soak the moong for 30 mins and chop up some onions and tomatoes, you are good to go. This is because Moong dal is easy and quick to cook. You may need as much as 15 mins tops to cook this humble dish.
Moong dal sabji
- 1 cup yellow split moong dal
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 thai chilies
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4-5 leaves curry leaves optional
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup water
- Wash and soak 1 cup moong dal in water for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile chop onions, tomatoes and chilies.
- Heat a wok/deep pan on medium flame.
- Add oil and let it heat. Once the oil heats, add mustard seeds, cumin, garlic, curry leaves and chilies.
- Let the chilies cook slightly then add onions, pinch of asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Cover the pan with lid and let the onions cook for a minute.
- Now add tomatoes along with chili powder and garam masala to the pan. Stir everything together and close the lid.
- Cook the tomatoes until mushy.
- Now add Moong dal and 1/4 cup water to the pan and stir everything well.
- Add salt and adjust spices as per taste.
- Cover the pan with lid and let it cook for 5 mins.
- The moong dal cooks quickly. If you feel there is water left in the pan, simply remove the lid and let the water simmer until all gone.
- Garnish with coriander and raw onions. Serve hot.
I am Jui. If you love tea, vegetarian food and lots of giggles, we probably work on the same wavelength. I mostly re-create long lost Maharashtrian traditional recipes and also develop recipes that are vegan and vegetarian.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE,
If you like this recipe, Rate it by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
For more such recipes and inspirations Check out my Pinterest boards.
If you try any of my recipes, do share a picture with the hashtag #whenchaimetbiskit on Instagram or Facebook.. Would love to know what you guys have been cooking..
Recipes you might like
Creamy red lentil curry with cauliflower is one pot curry that can be made in minutes. Just stir in all the ingredients and pressure cook for 10 mins or medium flame and you are sorted for the day.