Mint flavored Quinoa
This year, I have resolved to make use of Quinoa. I have tried few of the recipes and I have come to conclusion that if you spice up the Quinoa, it turns more palatable. So in one of my experiments with Quinoa, I tried Mint flavored Quinoa just like Mint rice that is famous in the south of India.
Mint flavored Quinoa, the name itself awakens the aromatic sense into the mind. Imagine the medley of spices and fresh coconut with the mix of fresh mint. It’s all things good, don’t you think?
Mint flavored Quinoa
- • 1 cup Quinoa soaked for 20 mins
- • 5-6 sprigs of mint
- • 8-10 sprigs of coriander
- • 1/4 cup of fresh coconut
- • 4-5 chilies
- • 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- • 4 cups of water
- • 1 medium onion diced
- • 1 large carrot diced
- • salt as per taste
- • 1 and 1/2 tsp of garam masala OR 2 star anise seeds, 4-5 cloves, 4-5 bay leaves, 2 pods of cardamom, 1 stick of cinnamon, 5 pepper corns
- • 4 tsp vegetable oil
- • 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- Make a paste of coriander, mint, chilies and coconut with 2 tsp of water.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil on a medium flame.
- Once the oil heats, add all the dry spices (star anise, cloves,pepper corns,bay leaf,cinnamon,cardamom) and saute until the aromatic smell starts emitting from it.
- Add the mint-coriander paste to the pressure cooker and saute it for a minute.
- To this, add onions and carrots and turmeric powder. Mix everything together and let it cook for 2 mins.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pressure cooker (or wide pan with lid) and let it boil. At this time add salt so that you can do a taste test. For a cup of quinoa around 1 and 1/2 - 2 tsp of salt is suggested,
- Once the water comes to a rolling boil, add soaked quinoa
- Stir it lightly and cover up the pressure cooker with lid and cook until 2 whistles over medium flame. (cook for 15 mins on medium flame if cooking in a pan)
- Once done with 2 whistles, turn off the heat and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Open once the steam has escaped and serve warm
2. You can also add roasted peanuts into the Dish while it is getting cooked.