Ganpati bappa has arrived and I am so excited for the festival. Preparing the house for our favorite deity is so much fun. And wait, did I tell you we make tons of modaks for this festival?
This year however we were out for a trip and reached home on the day of Bappa’s arrival. I was dead tired but could not let the day go by. I made my ‘when in rush’ modak recipe for the naivedya(offering). And thought of sharing it with you guys.
I made mango flavored sheera and molded into the shape of modak for a quick fix. Usually I make regular sheera and mold it into modak using the mold for monthly chaturthi. This way it makes it easier and there is no problem of frying the modak or steaming it to the right amount. My modaks were ready in no time and devoured in minutes.
I made the regular sheera by roasting the rava in ghee until golden brown.
Then add sugar, water and store bought mango pulp to it and gave it a good mix. You can use fresh mango pulp too.
Added dry fruits and steamed it for sometime. Once the sheera cooled, molded into modak for the naivedyam.
- 1 1/4 cup of coarse Rava Semolina (180gms)
- 2 tbsp of ghee
- 1 1/2 cup of water 192gms
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar 192gms
- 1/2 cup of mango pulp 64gms
- 2 tsp of cardamom powder
- dry fruits of your choice
- Heat saucepan on medium flame and add ghee.
- Add chopped dry fruits to ghee, roast until golden brown and transfer it to a plate.
- In the same ghee add rava and roast until golden brown.
- In another pan, heat water on a medium flame.
- Once the rava is golden brown, add sugar and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Reduce the flame to low.
- Add the hot water to the rava slowly while mixing the rava gently to avoid lumps.
- Add mango pulp to the rava mixture and mix well.
- Add the roasted dry fruits to the sheera and steam it on low flame for 10 mins.
This was my way of making quick modaks. I hope you like this recipe and give this a try. If you try this recipe and liked it, do share a picture with the hashtag #whenchaimetbiskit on Instagram or Facebook. Would love to know what you guys have been cooking.