15 mins Malai Modak
Ganesh Chaturthi was few weeks ago and I was thinking of trying something different this time around. Last few years, I have tried making fried Modak, chocolate Modak and Steamed Modak. This year, I wanted to bring something new to the Naivedya (offering) table.
Living in the US makes you appreciate Indian life so much more! While I thought the Malai modak would be easy once I had khoya handy, little did I know that I will have to run pillar to post in search of khoya. After an unsuccessful attempt at finding Khoya, I started exploring other ways to make Malai Modak. Somehow, Malai Modak was gonna happen!!
Making Malai with full fat milk powder is one of the easiest way to achieve creamy dairy based sweets. I found it through fellow bloggers and decided to give it a try. If you ask me which milk powder, I would highly suggest Nido milk powder. This milk powder is smooth and super aromatic. Just like the Indian style milk powder.
How to make Malai Modak?
I have added a step by step process to make these quick and delicious Malai Modak (left to right)
Then you can start molding it.
And that’s how the final Malai Modak will look. You can find the Modak mold here.
And that’s how the final Malai Modak will look.
- 1 cup Nido milk powder 130 gms
- 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk 180gms
- 1/2 cup ghee 120gms
- 2 tbsp of cardamom powder
- In a heavy bottom pan, melt ghee on low flame.
- Add milk powder and stir it for 2 mins.
- Make sure you roast the milk powder on low flame.
- Add half can of condensed milk and cardamom powder. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it starts to thicken and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Take a pea size of the mixture and try to roll it in your palms.
- If the mixture holds shape, then it's done, else keep stirring for few more minutes.
- Once done, transfer the mixture to a plate and let it sit for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, grease the molds and your palms.
- Take some mixture and put it in the mold. Unmold the modak and set it aside.
- Make modaks from the mixture and store them refridgerated.
Malai modak cravings, I got you sorted just in 15 mins. Do give it a try!