Jawasachi chatni -Flaxseed chutney
I remember being a fussy child. Always cranky about food. But one thing I loved eating was the Jawasachi chutney/flaxseed chutney. Most of my childhood was spent with my grandmother. She would make Jawasachi chutney that had my heart. It has the right amount of heat and there is also a slight crunch because of the Flaxseeds. Jawas is known as flaxseed in English and aalsi in Hindi.
What is Jawasachi Chutney?
Jawas (flaxseed) are basically seeds that are also popularly known as linseed. These seeds are rich in fiber and omega 3 fatty acid. It is widely used as low carb substitute to pine nuts and peanuts. So for all those watching their carb intake, this chutney serves best. Although eating everything in moderation is key to healthy body.
What can I pair it with?
Jawasachi chutney is a traditional Maharashtrian chutney that is dry and made with flaxseeds and dry coconut. This chutney tastes best with rotis or as an accompaniment to rice. You can also mix it in yogurt or oil to make it paste-y.
Jawasachi chutney -Flaxseed chutney
- 1 cup of flaxseeds/jawas
- 1/3 cup of dry grated coconut
- 2 tbsp of chili powder
- 3-4 medium sized cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of salt or adjust as per taste
- Dry roast the flaxseeds/jawas in a pan on a medium flame.
- Roast for 5 mins and transfer the seeds to a plate.
- In the same pan, add grated dry coconut and roast them for 2 mins. Once they turn slightly brown, transfer the coconut to the plate.
- Once the ingredients cool, add flaxseeds,coconut, garlic cloves, chili powder and salt.
- Grind the mixture until a coarse powder.
- Transfer this chutney to an airtight container and store at room temperature.
*You can add yogurt or olive oil/normal oil to the chutney to make it slighlty runny.
This is one easy recipe that has all the goodness and the taste you would love instantly.