Instant Mango Pickle
Raw mangoes are in season and I am craving for some spicy-tangy pickle. I don’t want to end up waiting long for the traditional pickle to be ready so I made instant pickle that is ready to eat in minutes.
Instant pickle is easy and quick to make. The taste is similar to the traditional pickle with so much flavor. The aroma of the pickle is so alluring. And what is best is the flavor comes from all the basic ingredients available in the pantry.
How to make?
The instant pickle is made in minutes. You just mix dry ingredients together and marinate the raw mango for 30 mins. The salt and sugar along with spices are absorbed into the raw mango pieces. After 30 minutes, add the tempered oil to marinated mango and its ready to eat.
I have added mustard seeds that bring out beautiful aroma. You can add de-shelled mustard seeds directly available to the pickle or you can also make de-shelled mustard seeds at home.
To make de-shelled mustard seeds at home:
You can roast the mustard seeds on low flame. You will feel the aroma of the seeds once they begin to roast. Transfer these seeds to the chopping board and then using rolling pin, crush the seeds to de-shell them. Dust off the shells and use the inside of the seeds for making pickle.
Instant Mango pickle
- 1 medium sized raw mango 200 gm
- 2 tbsp of oil 30 gms
- 2 tbsp of chili powder 20gms
- 0.5 tbsp salt
- 0.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 0.5 tbsp fenugreek seeds methi seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp hing asafoetida
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Choose a firm raw mango and chop it into thinly sliced pieces.
- Transfer the pieces to a deep bowl.
- Add coriander powder, chili powder, salt and sugar to the mango pieces and mix well.
- Let it marinate for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, roast 0.5 tbsp of mustard seeds on low heat for 2 mins,
- Transfer this roasted mustard seeds on the chopping board and crush the seeds using rolling pin.
- Dust off the mustard skins and use the de-shelled mustard seeds.
- Heat a saucepan on medium and add oil. Let the oil heat.
- Once the oil heats, add mustard seeds, methi seeds and de-shelled mustard to the oil.
- Turn off the flame and add hing (asafoetida), 1 tsp of chili powder.
- Let the oil cool down.
- Then add this oil to the pickle and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- Store this pickle refrigerated.
You can pair this fresh pickle with roti and rice. Remember to keep it refrigerated for not more than 1 week.