Hot & sweet tomato sauce
My husband and I love the American style tomato ketchup. And the regular desi ‘Hot & Sweet’ sauce also makes an appearance to accompany Indian snacks. Making french fries and eating it with lots of ketchup is actually my favorite. But I need our good old ‘hot and sweet’ sauce for samosas or pakoras. The tomato ketchup doesn’t do justice to certain snacks.
So the last time my husband was on a Costco run, he accidently bought the assorted Heinz set which had 2 tomato ketchup bottles along with mustard sauce and relish.The sight of 2 ketchup bottles lying in the fridge bothered me. It’s too much for a household of 2, isn’t it?
I thought of using it up somehow, somewhere. So instead of buying Indian style tomato sauce from the Indian store, I decided to jazz up this regular ketchup. A little comparison with the Maggi “Hot & Sweet” sauce got me thinking. I decided to add some Indian spices to the regular Heinz ketchup to convert it into the Indian style tomato sauce. Some basic ingredients is all that you need. The sauce turned up to be delicious. The sauce turned into tangy, spicy-hot and sweet flavors that one can taste.
HOW TO TURN TOMATO KETCHUP TO HOT & SWEET SAUCE
Making Hot and sweet sauce using tomato ketchup is so easy that you will wonder why you didn’t do it before!
- I am using the Heinz tomato ketchup 32 ounce bottle.
- You need to transfer the ketchup to a deep pan and heat it on low flame.
- Then add the ingredients – dried garlic powder, ginger powder, chili powder and sugar.
- Add salt as per needed and stir everything together. Let the sauce simmer for 5 mins, then turn off the flame.
- Let it cool down for sometime and then transfer it to an airtight container. Keep it refrigerated.
See, easy isn’t it?
Why waste $$ for Indian style tomato when you can make it at home using tomato ketchup as base ingredient?!
Hot and sweet tomato sauce
- 1 bottle of Heinz tomato ketchup 900gms 35oz
- 6 tbsp Sugar
- 4 tbsp Chili powder
- 3 tbsp of garlic powder
- 3 tbsp of ginger powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- Heat a medium sized pan on low heat.
- Add the tomato ketchup and let it heat little bit.
- Once the ketchup is hot, add all the ingredients mentioned above.
- Mix everything well and keep stirring.
- Check the taste and adjust the ingredients if necessary.
- There is already salt in the ketchup so be careful when you are adding salt to the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce for 5 mins and then turn off the flame.
- Once the sauce is cool, transfer to airtight bottle and store refrigerated.
I am Jui. If you love tea, vegetarian food and lots of giggles, we probably work on the same wavelength. I mostly re-create long lost Maharashtrian traditional recipes and also develop recipes that are vegan and vegetarian.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE,
If you like this recipe, Rate it by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
For more such recipes and inspirations Check out my Pinterest boards.
If you try any of my recipes, do share a picture with the hashtag #whenchaimetbiskit on Instagram or Facebook.. Would love to know what you guys have been cooking..
Recipes you might like