Easy Gobi Matar
I usually make weeknight dinners that are less elaborate and quick. Having said that, recipes requiring minimum chopping and cooking time are my go-to. One such recipe is the quick and flavorful Gobi Matar. Chunky Gobi – cauliflower florets and Matar- peas in a spicy flavorful sauce.
The recipe demands very few ingredients and comes together in no time. There is no fancy chopping required nor heavy pots and pans. Just cut the cauliflower in chunky florets and defrost the frozen peas from the freezer. Add in the garam masala, some coriander powder, cumin powder and red chili powder. Simmer the veggies on low and BAM! you have one flavorful Gobi Matar curry.
This recipe can be alternately used for Aloo Gobhi or Aloo matar. Just use the veggies of your choice and you’re good to go!
Easy Gobi Matar
- 2 cup cauliflower florets.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp peanut powder optional
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3-4 curry leaves
- pinch of hing asafoetida
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 small piece of ginger chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 cup water
- fresh chopped coriander for garnish
- 1 small piece of jaggery
- salt as per taste
- In a pan, heat oil on medium flame.
- Once the oil heats, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Let the mustard crackle then add ginger and garlic.
- Stir and let it turn golden brown.
- Then add pinch of hing and turmeric.
- Immediately add cauliflower florets, peas and water.
- Add the spice powders - coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, chili powder.
- Stir everything together. Add salt as per taste and small piece of jaggery.
- Let the gobi matar simmer on medium for 10 mins. Once the florets turn soft, that means the Gobi matar is ready.
- Turn off the flame and add chopped coriander.
- Serve with hot rotis.