Being self-quarantined doesn’t feel good at all. Our time table was disturbed and the first few days felt good but now we’re trying to build our own routines. I am cooking food that doesn’t involve lot of ingredients and is quick. Today was a no-brainer that felt so easy and quick – Dal Khichdi.
What is Dal-Khichdi?
No wonder Indians made this when things got out of hand and they needed a fulfilling meal. This Dal Khichdi is made of Moong dal and Rice. The ratio of dal-rice is 1:2 but you can adjust the ratio to 1:1 or 1:3 depending upon your protein or carb intake respectively. Just dump everything into the pressure cooker or instant pot and the food is ready in just 10 mins.
While the Khichdi cooks, you can make a tadka (optional) and add to the khichdi once its done. Some of my favorite accompaniments are pickle and papads.
Variations in Khichdi:
You can add vegetables of your choice to khichdi. I usually add greens like methi/spinach/kale/beet leaves. You can also add garlic and onions to amp up the taste.
Scrumptious Dal Khichdi
- 1 cup moong dal
- 2 cup rice
- 4 cups water
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp of ghee
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 2 red chilies
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Wash rice and dal separately until the water runs clear.
- In a pressure cooker, add dal, rice, turmeric and water.
- Add salt as per taste and stir everything together.
- Pressure cook the Khichdi until 3 whistles.
- Turn off the flame and let the pressure release naturally.
- Add 1/2 - 1 cup water if the khichdi looks dry while the gas flame is medium.
- The Khichdi should be mushy and slimy.
- For tadka
- Heat the tadka pan on low heat. Add oil and mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add chilies and curry leaves and turn off the flame.
- Add the tadka on the khichdi and stir altogether.
IF YOU TRY..
I hope you like this recipe and give this a try. If you try this recipe and liked it, do share a picture with the hashtag #whenchaimetbiskit on Instagram or Facebook. Would love to know what you guys have been cooking.