2021 is here but I still love my desi comfort food. Comfort food for me is warm dal and rice or Khichdi. I remember Mom made Khichdi every time I was cranky. Now, I associate Khichdi with my dull mood. So whenever I am feeling low, my mind and body craves for Dal-Khichdi.
Another reason I like it is because it’s absolutely easy, no chopping or cleaning up utensils. Just dump everything in the IP or pressure cooker and your meal is ready in no time.
WHAT IS DAL-KHICHDI?
No wonder Indians developed this recipe for times when things got out of hand but they needed a fulfilling meal.
This Dal Khichdi is made of Moong dal and Rice. The moong dal is easy to digest and so makes it ideal for light meal. The ratio of dal-rice is 1:2 but you can adjust the ratio to 1:1 or 1:3 depending upon how creamy you want this Khichdi. The moong dal when cooked well makes this dish really creamy and mushy. Because it is light to digest and easy to eat, this dish is favorite among teething babies, toddlers and senior citizens.
VARIATIONS IN KHICHDI:
While the traditional Khichdi recipe is just rice and dal cooked with turmeric and salt, there have been manyvaritations to this humble dish.
Some like to make a crisp tadka with garlic to add to the Khichdi to add extra oomph.
I like to add vegetables like potatoes and onions. Also greens like methi/spinach/kale/beet leaves make an appearance in the Khichdi sometimes.
My favorite accompaniment with Khichdi is Pickle and Papad. I would highly recommend trying this particular brand of Mango pickle to pair with Khichdi.
Scrumptious Dal Khichdi
- 1 cup moong dal
- 2 cup rice
- 4 cups water
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp of ghee
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 2 red chilies
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- Wash rice and dal separately until the water runs clear.
- Set the INstant pot to Saute mode. If using pressure cooker, heat it on medium flame.
- In a pressure cooker/Instant pot, add ghee and let it melt.
- Then add washed dal, rice, turmeric and water.
- Add salt as per taste and stir everything together.
- Close the lid of the Instant pot and switch to Pressure Cook mode for 10 mins. Close the vent. If using Pressure cooker, cook the Khichdi until 3 whistles.
- Once done, turn off the IP/ stove flame and let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and mix the Khichdi well. The Khichdi should be mushy and slimy. If you feel that the khichdi looks dry, add 1/2 cup water and close the lid and let it sit for 5 mins. No need to turn on the heat.
- Heat the tadka pan on low heat. Add oil and mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add chilies and curry leaves and turn off the flame.
- Add the tadka on the khichdi and stir altogether.
I am Jui. If you love tea, vegetarian food and lots of giggles, we probably work on the same wavelength. I mostly re-create long lost Maharashtrian traditional recipes and also develop recipes that are vegan and vegetarian.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE,
If you like this recipe, Rate it by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
For more such recipes and inspirations Check out my Pinterest boards.
If you try any of my recipes, do share a picture with the hashtag #whenchaimetbiskit on Instagram or Facebook.. Would love to know what you guys have been cooking..