Cranberry- Date Jam
I impulsively purchased a bag of cranberries only to realise later that I had no plans to make anything out of it. When I came back home and tried to eat them raw, the taste was too tarty for the palate and I just couldn’t eat them. Tensed about the future of these fancy red rubies, I could not find a solution. I just stored them in the fridge. For almost a week. Unsure of what lay ahead of me.
Eventually after a week’s time, I found confidence in venturing into the unchartered territory. Decided to make something out of it. I had a packet of Dates lying around in the pantry from long that also needed to be put to use soon. And then came this humble idea of making Cranberry-date jam. Yayy!
It’s quick and easy and refined sugar free. Just de-seed and wash the cranberries and add paste of Date
Add cinnamon and nutmeg powder and cook for 10 mins and we’re good to go!
- 2 cups of pitted cranberry
- 1 cup of pitted dates (around 12-15)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- Wash the pitted cranberries to remove any seeds left.
- In a bowl, add dates and ½ cup of hot water . Let the dates soak for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins, grind these dates to a fine paste.
- Heat a sauce pan on low flame and add the pitted cranberries along with ½ cup of water.
- Let the cranberries cook on medium flame for 5 mins. Once the cranberries turn mushy, add the date paste and let it simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the cinnamon and nutmeg powder and mix everything together. Cook for 5-7 mins or until the mixture thickens, and turn off the flame.
- Let the cranberry sauce cool down, then transfer it to an airtight bottle.
Don’t forget to give this recipe a try until the season lasts!!!