BBQ Nation style Cajun potatoes
If you have ever been to Barbecue Nation in India, you definitely remember some of their interesting dishes. We have few of our favorites too. One unforgettable fav is Cajun potatoes. Tiny crispy potatoes baked/shallow fried and then topped with creamy cajun spiced sauce. This dish is typical spin on the original Cajun Chicken recipe.
The rustic Cajun spice blend originates from Louisiana, the home of delicious Cajun cuisine. Everyone tends to have their own spin on it, but in general, it’s a spicy blend featuring lots of paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, pepper and oregano.
This spice blend is readily available in stores. Or you can make it at home too, the ingredients needed are easily available at home so it easy to whip up. This Cajun seasoning can be used over salads, fries and roasted meat.
If you are making it at home, you would need the following ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons chili powder/paprika
- 2 tablespoons fine kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Mix everything well to make Cajun spice blend. You can store this in an airtight container for later use.
If you want to buy ready made blend, check this link.
If you want to amaze your guests with interesting and delicious food, I am pretty sure these Cajun Potatoes would be your great option. The recipe is easy and quick so it can be made in no time.
You need to have small potatoes (the one’s used in Dum Aloo/tiny potatoes) to make crispy Cajun potatoes. These are tiny, bite sized potatoes so it serves the absolute purpose of appetizers.
There are many ways in which Cajun potatoes are made. Some prefer dipping the potatoes in corn flour slurry and then deep frying. However, my recipe involves shallow frying. Alternatively you can bake these potatoes in the oven for that added crispiness.
To make Cajun potatoes:
- Boil these potatoes al dente (10mins). Do not cook the potatoes fully. The potatoes should be just cooked.
- Once boiled and cooled, keeping the potato skin intact. Gently press the potatoes with hand.
- Make sure you don’t disintegrate the potato. The potatoes should be just cracked.
- Do not dry the potatoes completely. It’s ok if the water remains slightly.
- Dust the potato with corn flour or you can dip slightly wet potatoes in corn flour.
- Do not overcoat.
- Shallow fry these potatoes in a pan with little oil. Make sure the skin turns golden brown on all sides.
- Transfer the potatoes to a plate.
- Do not assemble (add sauce and onions) to the potatoes beforehand. Assemble only before serving.
To make Cajun sauce
To make Cajun sauce, you need creamy mayonnaise and Cajun seasoning. Mix the two ingredients and stir well. Do check if there is salt in the seasoning blend. If the seasoning doesn’t have salt, add salt accordingly.
I have tried creating the same sauce in vegan form. For making vegan cajun seasoning, you can use greek yogurt instead of mayo. But make sure the yogurt is thick and not runny.
Along with that you will also need finely chopped onions and coriander/cilantro.
- 10 mini potatoes
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander/cilantro
- 4 tbsp corn flour
- 5 tbsp oil
- Boil the mini potatoes in water for 10 mins on medium flame.
- Once done, remove the potatoes and let it cool down for 5 mins.
- Gently press the potatoes to slightly crack.
- Dip the potatoes in corn flour.
- Heat oil in shallow pan on medium flame.
- Once the oil heats, place the potatoes in hot oil.
- Let the potatoes cook in oil until the skin turns golden brown
- Once the potato is cooked from all sides, transfer the cooked potato to a plate.
- Now to make the sauce, mix together cajun spice and mayo.
- Add chili powder if you feel the heat is less.
- Place the potatoes in serving plate.
- Add the Cajun sauce on each potato and sprinkle some chopped onions and coriander.
- Serve immediately.
- You can make the Cajun spice or make it. Either is easy and do-able.
- If you don’t have small potatoes, you can cut large potatoes into bite sized pieces and do the same process.
- Sweet potatoes work best too
- If you want to make vegan version, use thick Greek yogurt.
- You can bake/fry the potatoes beforehand and then assemble just before serving.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE,
If you like this Cajun Potatoes recipe, Rate it by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
For more such recipes and inspirations Check out my Pinterest boards.
If you try any of my recipes, do share a picture with the hashtag #whenchaimetbiskit on Instagram or Facebook.. Would love to know what you guys have been cooking..