15 min Rava Coconut laddu
Diwali is here and I am thinking of making all things sweet. Of all the sweets, laddus are my favorite, Rava laddu and besan laddu both. I made Rava laddus this time for Diwali. These are not any basic Rava laddus. These laddus are made with Dulce de leche (Latin American sweetened condensed milk). That makes the laddus quick to make and delicious to eat.
The dulce de leche adds creamy sweet (almost caramel-y) flavor to the otherwise flat flavored Rava laddu. Because you are adding condensed milk, you can easily skip the step of making sugar syrup. Thus, reducing the probability of messing up. Traditional Rava laddus are a little gamble. Even a small mistake in making sugar syrup may break the recipe.
What is dulce-de-leche?
Dulce de leche is sweetened condensed milk from Latin America prepared by slowly heating milk and sugar. The flavor is derived from the slow boiling of the milk making it thick, creamy and sweet. Dulce de leche is Spanish for “candy [made] of milk”
Making Rava-Coconut Laddu..
Rava-coconut laddu is easy and delicious recipe. The recipe can be made in under 15 mins and needs just 4 major ingredients.
The only important step in this recipe is slow roasting the Rava and coconut to avoid burning it down. You need to roast the Rava on medium-low flame. Make sure the Rava is roasted well and looks golden brown. Then transfer the roasted Rava to another plate.
In the same pan, reduce the flame to low and roast the desiccated coconut for 2 mins. Make sure the desiccated coconut does not burn. As soon as the desiccated coconut slightly changes color, transfer it to a plate.
Mix dulce-de-leche, Rava and desiccated coconut together. Knead everything well and make round laddus out of it. Make sure all the laddus are of the same size.
15min Dulce-de-leche Rava laddu
- 1/2 cup Fine Rava 113gms
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut 50gms
- 1 tsp cardamom powder optional
- 1/4 cup dulce-de-leche regular condensed milk may also do
- 1 tbsp ghee
- In a heavy bottom pan, add ghee and let it heat on medium-low flame.
- Add 1/2 cup Rava and roast until golden brown. Keep stirring continuously, do not let it sit. After 5 mins, the Rava begins to puff up and starts smelling good.
- Transfer the Rava once roasted well to a plate.
- Now add desiccated coconut and roast for 2 mins.
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool down.
- Now add roasted Rava, desiccated coconut and dulce-de-leche to the mixing bowl. At this point, adding cardamom is optional.
- Mix everything together. Make sure you knead the Rava into the condensed milk well.
- Now start rolling small laddus of the mixture. Make sure the size of all laddus is equal.
- You can add raisins, pistachio and cashews when rolling.
- Store the laddus refrigerated.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE,
If you like this Rava-Coconut Laddu recipe, rate it by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
For more such recipes and inspirations Check out my Pinterest boards.
If you try any of my recipes, do share a picture with the hashtag #whenchaimetbiskit on Instagram or Facebook.. Would love to know what you guys have been cooking.