Stuffed Tomato gravy
Posted On 10/29/2018
Since childhood, I have a love-hate relationship with tomatoes. Sometimes I hated them because they were too tart or sometimes because they were firm and neutral tasting to be particular.
But now as I have grown over the years and learnt to adjust the taste of the tomatoes as per my mood while I use them in most of the dishes. My most favorite – Stuffed tomato gravy
The smooth texture of the lush, spicy gravy and the slightly tart tomatoes stuffed with soft grated Paneer and spinach. Can you imagine the whole dish? I bet you, it tastes absolutely delish.
Is the gravy tarty?
Now you might wonder if the gravy tastes tarty with so many tomatoes?
I say NO! Why, this gravy has more of onions and little less of tomatoes. Surprisingly, this gravy doesn’t have any kind of cream or cashews to make it creamy. No extra efforts , this recipe is quick and so so easy.Some cloves of garlic and ginger in the gravy is sure to take you to the next level of spice.
What’s ‘in’ there?
I have added grated Paneer (cottage cheese) and Spring mix – Spinach, arugula and amaranth leaves. You can other stuffing like rice and beans or chickpea flour. The stuffings are your choice and I tried to balance out the dish by adding some protein.
Stuffed Tomato with
Author: Jui Kulkarni
Recipe type: Curry
- 6 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 and ½ roughly chopped large onion or 3 small ones
- 2-3 chillies
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 inch of ginger
- 3-5 tsp of olive oil
- ½ cup of Paneer (cottage cheese) shredded
- ½ cup of chopped spinach
- 2 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of crushed black pepper
- 2 tsp of red chili powder
- 1 tsp of asafoetida
- salt as per taste
- Remove the core of 4 Tomatoes. Keep the flesh for later use.
- Roughly chop the rest of the other tomatoes and make a smooth paste out of it along with the flesh of the cored tomatoes.
- Grind the onions along with chilies, garlic and ginger to form a smooth paste.
- In a deep bottom pan, heat oil on medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves once the oil heats.
- Add the asafoetida to the tempering.
- Add the Onion paste to the tempering and cook until the onions turn golden brown.
- Once the onions are cooked, add tomato paste to it.
- Add chili powder,turmeric and salt (as per taste) to the curry and let it simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Cover the curry with a lid, turn off the flame and let it sit.
- In another pan, heat 1 tsp of oil and add spinach and shredded cottage cheese (Paneer) and chopped spinach.
- Roast it for 5-8 mins and turn off the flame. Add some crushed pepper and slight salt to this mixture.
- Stuff this mixture into the cored tomatoes until brim.
- In a saucepan, add 1 tsp of oil and place these stuffed tomatoes into the saucepan.
- Cover the saucepan of stuffed tomatoes with a lid and let it cook for 5 mins.
- After 5 mins, check to see that the tomatoes look cooked. Turn off the flame once the tomatoes are cooked.
- Serve these tomatoes along with the gravy for the meal
You can adjust the heat with the chilies
You can also add cooked rice in the stuffing if you fall short of Paneer( cottage cheese).
Do give this stuffed tomato gravy a try. Quick, easy and so so flavourful..